The level of copyediting service depends on the client's needs for that particular project, and can range from collaborating on thought organization to proofing the word-final galley. We help clients identify their target audience, and then facilitate their relationship with that audience. During the drafting and editing process, we give the reader a voice through comments like "As a reader, I want to know more about this…" and "As written, this is a big claim that isn't supported for me as a reader. Explain/support it here, or move it to the discussion later where it can rest on the full argument you develop through the piece." This reader-based approach provides a logic for the requested changes that is more likely to stay with the client and inform their writing in the future.
We offer a wide range of copyediting feedback, including but not limited to the following:
- Formal academic style
- Word choice, syntax, spelling, and punctuation
- Proper use of citations, missing citations, and formatting of the reference list or bibliography
- Table and figure/illustration creation and formatting
- Organization, flow, and reader comprehension/confusion
- Advice and suggestions throughout the writing process from seed idea through final polishing